Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

back home again

So I took a very long break from blogging.  I didn't even think about it.  But then I realized I have no idea what's going on with my favorite bloggers, too, and I miss you guys.  So I'll be catching up here and there this week.  But it was good to unplug a little.  Not counting Instagram because that's pretty much an addiction at this point.  

The littles and I had a trip back to my hometown planned since the summer is Brian's busy time at work.  We were planning on staying a couple of weeks, lounging on the beach, and seeing lots of friends and family.  And we did all that!  But a few days before we had planned on leaving, my grandmother passed away.  So Brian took off from work, and helped me throw luggage in the car, and we caravanned it up together.  He took the kiddos to his parent's house and my parents and I headed to North Carolina for my Grandmother's memorial service.  It was a bit of a whirlwind, and although it was a sad reason to be there, it was so good seeing Uncles, Aunts, and cousins- some that I hadn't seen in decades.  
 When I got back, Brian was already on his way back to Missouri.  So the littles and I resumed our trip as planned.  We had cousin time, grandparent time, friend time, and a load of beach time.  My parent's home is just down the road from the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.  We spent more time at the beach than anywhere else, and it was lovely.  All these pictures are from one evening, since I didn't want to drag my camera bag every time we went.
 Can you see Chicago there in the pink light?  I love looking across the edge of Lake Michigan and seeing that skyline.  We took the train in one day and did the Field Museum, which is a wonderful natural history museum.  I HIGHLY recommend it for families with kiddos older than 3.
 On this particular night, we weren't planning on getting into the water since we had been to the beach earlier in the day.  We had planned on watching the sun sink, and then head home.  But my kids are water babies.  So shirts were stripped, and pants were soaked, and we all loved it.
 It started on a such a sad note, but this trip turned out to be so good for my soul.  I saw many old friends, a few dear friends, and I got lots of extra time with a best friend that came all the way from Colorado!  My parents were wonderful as usual, letting us run rampant through their home (while it's being remodeled!) with my friends and their littles.  And every time I go back "home" to Indiana and Chicago, I realize just how lucky I was to  have grown up in such a magical place.

So what have you all been up to this July?  I'm going to go catch up and find out!

6 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I missed the pretty pictures but you certainly did not disappoint in your triumphant return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first picture is breathtaking. What a beautiful moment. I love the beach and children in nature.

    So sorry about your grandmother. Such a loss. I think about mine a lot, although they have been gone a while. I'm glad you got to meet up with relatives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your grandma, but what a lovely trip it sounds (and looks) like you had! How lucky to have grown up by the water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soundtrack to this post (or at least the song I've been singing the whole time reading it!) is "Back home again in Indiana!" What a great trip with wonderful family and friend time. Summer is like one long blink--it's over too fast. So happy you are soaking it up with your littles and hubby! Love! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pictures are just stunning-- you have such an eye for a scene! I am so very sorry about your grandmother, but I'm glad you were able to turn it around & I am so glad you are back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep meaning to comment on this post but I have taken oh so long to get around to it! In summary, it was a JOY to see you, the kids, and your parents. We will remember this summer vacation for a long time - and we hope to make it a yearly ritual too. XOXO.

    ReplyDelete

your comments are the peanut butter to my jelly!