Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

cookie #4: grinch cookies

These are easy, easy, cookies.  Because I cheat.  Shhh.  Don't tell anyone, but I start these cookies with a sugar cookie mix.  But you have to put in just a leetle bit of extra work, so they're thisclose to being made from scratch.  Anyway, if you like the oh so delicious combo of mint and chocolate, then gather these ingredients:

1 package of sugar cookie mix
1/2 cup butter (one stick)
1 egg
21 Andes chocolates, chopped
1/8 t peppermint extract (optional)
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
a few drops of green food dye

Yep, start by grabbing one of these pouches.  I keep a few of these mixes around at Christmas for a cookie starter, or for making cookies to decorate with the littles.  They love to shake those sprinkles! 
Unwrap your Andes chocolates.  You don't have to use exactly 21.  I just used about 3/4 of a package.  You could really use the whole package if you LOVE mint.  Chop them up coarsely.
Soften your butter in a large bowl.
Did I remind you to preheat your oven to 375?  No?  Well, go do it.  Sorry.  Add your sugar cookie mix and your egg.
Stir together.  Drop in a few drops of green food dye.  You don't HAVE to do this, but that's what makes them "Grinch" cookies.  I use a light hand here.  I like just a slight green tint.  If you like intense green, then drop away.
Stir in the green dye.  This dough is stiff and you'll have to use those muscles.  If you have them.  Which I really don't.  My arm is still recovering.  This is optional, but if you REALLY like peppermint, then add just a bit of peppermint extract.  But you need to be a big fan.  Which I am.
Now add in your Andes chocolates, and your chocolate chips.
Stir your chocolate into the dough.
Form into 1 to 1 1/2 inch balls, or drop by the tablespoon-full onto your baking sheets.  They'll spread of course, so space them about 2 inches apart.
Bake for 7 to 9 minutes at 375 (or at 350 if you are using dark or nonstick cookie sheets).  They're finished when they are very lightly browned on the edges.
I made these for the first time last year, and I really like them since I have a mint-chocolate obsession.  Some people are turned off by the green color (i.e. my husband) but I think they're cute. 

Happy baking! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

your comments are the peanut butter to my jelly!