Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

easy leaf garland diy

I love love love fall.  It's my favorite season of the year.  I normally start decorating early in September, and it stays up until Thanksgiving!  I pretty much decorated the house as we unpacked this year.  I came across a pack of 50 silk colored leaves that I have bought a few years ago in the Target dollar bin, and had a tiny brainstorm: leaf garland!  It's super easy, let me show you.


You'll need some leaves- you could try real, but I think the fake ones are going to be easier for this.  Also grab some scissors, twine or ribbon, and some tape.


I cut 2 slits into each leaf by folding slightly where I cut.


Take your twine or ribbon and make it easier to thread by taping up the end.


I unfortunately thought of this AFTER I started.  Oh well.  I used about 3 feet of  twine at a time so it didn't get too unwieldy.  Time to start threading those leaves!  I like the rustic look of twine, but ribbon would be pretty, too.  Black ribbon would be good for Halloween.


I put a knot in the twine behind each leaf so the leaves didn't end up all at one end of the twine.  It made it take a little longer, but it keeps the leaves spaced where you want them.


I cut the slits at random points in the leaves so it would somewhat mimic leaves falling.  Feel free to do a more uniform cut if you have OCD.


I ended up with 4 lengths of garland.  You can tie them together, or put them up separately, your choice.  I put mine up above the fireplace.


Pretty AND easy!  Ok, go ahead and make yours.

1 comment:

  1. Love the festive fall leaves!! What a great decorator you are! That special touch you have to make a house your home never goes out of season. I should get my fall stuff out, thanks for the motivation. You are a cornucopia of good ideas, R!

    ReplyDelete

your comments are the peanut butter to my jelly!